Gophers Beat Purdue 6-4 For Big Ten Tournament Championship
OMAHA, Neb. - Ben Mezzenga singled in the go-ahead run in the sixth inning and threw out what would have been the tying run at home in the eighth, and top-seeded Minnesota beat Purdue 6-4 in the Big Ten Tournament championship game Sunday.
The regular-season champion Gophers (41-13) won their first tournament title since 2010 and 10th in 37 years under coach John Anderson.
Minnesota had outscored the Boilermakers 40-15 in two regular-season games, but this one was close throughout. The Gophers came back three times from one-run deficits in the first six innings. They went ahead in the bottom of the sixth on singles by Luke Pettersen and Mezzenga.
Mezzenga made his huge defensive play after Evan Kennedy doubled off All-Big Ten reliever Max Meyer. Charlie Nasuti pinch ran and tried to score from second when Evan Warden singled into left field with two outs. Mezzenga came up throwing and nailed Nasuti at the plate. The play was upheld after a video review.
Minnesota tacked on an insurance run in the eighth...
The last Posts from "CBS"
- Camp Fire Death Toll Rises To 42; Now Deadliest Wildfire In U.S. History
- Stan Lee, Legendary Marvel Comics Creator, Is Dead At 95
- ‘It's Like The Final Puzzle Piece': Mayo Clinic Now Offering Gender Affirmation Surgery
- Minneapolis VA Brings Veterans Day Event To Hospitalized Vets
- Twins Legend Joe Mauer Leaves Legacy Of Achievement, Kindness
- After Midterm Victory, Gov.-Elect Tim Walz Empowered To Pursue Agenda
- With Dalvin Cook Back, Vikings Ready To Run In Cold Weather
- ‘It's Like The Final Puzzle Piece': Mayo Clinic Now Offering Gender Confirmation Surgery
- NHL, Players Reach Settlement In Concussion Lawsuit
- Former Police Chief Killed In Becker County Hunting Accident
- Monster Jam
- 2 Teens Critically Injured After Driver Strikes Tree Head-On
- ‘My Family Is Still Fighting': 3 Years Since Jamar Clark Shot
- Wisconsin Gov.-Elect Evers Names Chief Of Staff
- 3 Cool Things To Do In St. Paul This Week
- MN Family Welcomes Baby Girl Born 11/11 At 11:11 P.M
- Tim Tebow To Host New CBS Series ‘Million Dollar Mile'
- Joe Mauer Makes MLB Retirement Official
- Jed Copham, Owner Of BIR, Dies After Yacht Accident In Florida
- Facebook Went Down For Users Across The World Monday
The headlines of News BreaK
Democrat Kyrsten Sinema declared winner in Arizona Senate race
Democrat Kyrsten Sinema has beaten Republican opponent Martha McSally in the race for an open Senate in Arizona. Sinema was finally declared the winner of the contest on Monday...
Stan Lee, Marvel Comics icon, dead at 95
Lee is known as the co-creator of popular comics involving heroes such as Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk, X-Men, Black Panther, Daredevil and The Avengers.
Stan Lee, Marvel legend, reportedly dead at 95
Former president and chairman of Marvel Comics Stan Lee died Monday at 95 according to The Hollywood Reporter and TMZ. He was reportedly rushed to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center...
West Virginia senator, Army veteran Richard Ojeda announces 2020...
Here's the first official Democratic presidential candidate.
Acting AG Whitaker will consult ethics officials about possible recusal
Acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker will consult with ethics officials about “matters that may warrant recusal” amid criticism of his oversight of the Mueller investigation...
Kyrsten Sinema declared winner in close Arizona US Senate race
Democratic U.S. Rep. Kyrsten Sinema will become the first woman to serve in the U.S. Senate from Arizona, succeeding Republican Sen. Jeff Flake, who opted not to run.
11 unforgettable quotes about life from Marvel legend Stan Lee
Stan Lee died at the age of 95 on Monday. Throughout his life, the legendary creator of many beloved Marvel superheroes won fans over with his passion for storytelling and...
Michelle Obama 'stopped even trying to smile' at Trump inauguration
Former first lady Michelle Obama wrote that she was unable to put on a happy face and smile during President Donald Trump's inauguration in her new book.
Ronald Acuna Jr., Shohei Ohtani win rookie of the year awards
Acuna powered the Braves to a surprising season, while former Japanese sensation Ohtani became the best two-way player since Babe Ruth.
'I think my crime, really, was that I dared to support Donald Trump': Roger...
Jerome Corsi, a far-right political commentator and longtime associate of Roger Stone, says he will be indicted for perjury. Corsi was served a subpoena in August by special...